Tax regimes across the world undergo frequent changes in response to economic growth and challenges. At Baker Tilly, we are committed to providing both businesses and individuals with sound, timely and practical advice, whether they are setting up businesses, conducting cross-border transactions, structuring investments, or going public.
How Baker Tilly Can Help
Compliance and Controversy Services
We prepare Singapore tax returns for organisations ranging from corporate bodies to professional sole proprietorships and partnerships, as well as for expatriate employees, high-net-worth individuals, trusts and estates. We also handle tax controversies where we assist our clients to negotiate and correspond with the Inland Revenue Authority of Singapore (IRAS) on enquiries arising from IRAS examinations, audits or investigations.
Our professional team helps clients, whether at the set-up stage or operational stage, to navigate the tax environment which has grown increasingly complex in today’s world. We assist them to consider applications for tax incentives, participation in Tax Governance and Risk Management programmes, and adoption of tax technology in their tax function. We also offer guidance to investors venturing into the region, giving advice on how to structure their investments to achieve optimal after-tax returns.
Cross-Border Transactions Services
As part of an international network, Baker Tilly is well positioned to help clients understand tax ramifications at home and abroad and comply with the tax rules of the relevant tax jurisdictions.
Employee Consulting Services
Foreign businesses seconding employees to Singapore, and Singapore companies sending staff abroad can rely on our team to help them design tax-effective employee compensation packages and implement tax equalisation policies.
Goods and Services Tax (GST) Services
In today’s dynamic economic landscape, businesses are continually seeking ways to optimise their operations and financial strategies.
One key aspect that demands careful consideration is the Goods and Services Tax (GST) and its equivalents.
With the widespread adoption of such consumption-based tax system by more than 170 countries, businesses find themselves navigating through intricate tax regulations and practices. A strategic focus on GST not only ensures compliance but also presents an opportunity for businesses to streamline operations, enhance financial transparency and maintain customer relationships.
Recognising the pivotal role of GST and its potential impact on a business’s bottom line has become an imperative for forward-thinking businesses aiming to thrive in an ever-evolving market. Businesses should therefore take a proactive approach in ensuring effective management of GST.
How we can help
Our specialist team is well placed to support you across a wide spectrum of GST matters:
GST compliance and planning
- Assess GST registration liability
- Application for GST registration/exemption from GST registration/GST group registration/divisional registration
- Advise on start-up issues (e.g. recoverability of GST on expenses, GST treatment and tax coding in system, transaction table)
- Advise on different types of GST schemes (e.g. MES, IGDS) and assist with the application of such GST schemes
- Review and e-filing of GST F5/F7/F8 returns
- E-Filing of Statement of Claims (SOC) for Qualifying Funds, S-REITs, Qualifying S-RBT
- Perform GST health check reviews
- Perform reviews under the Assisted Self-Help Kit (ASK) for the application/renewal of GST schemes or voluntary disclosure of errors
- Perform reviews under the Assisted Compliance Assurance Programme (ACAP)
- GST due diligence reviews
- Advise on GST treatment of day-to-day business transactions
- Advise on GST implications of new business models or cross-border transactions
- Advise on GST implications of the transfer of business, cessation of business, liquidation
- Advise and planning for IPO
- Customised in-house GST training
Tax dispute resolution
- Support in tax audits and/or tax investigation process with IRAS
- Support in objection/appeal to IRAS’ decisions
For foreign companies
- Advise on GST implications on foreign companies’ business activities in Singapore
- Assess foreign companies’ GST registration liability in Singapore under the Overseas Vendor Registration (OVR) regime
- Assist with the application for GST registration under the OVR regime
- Assist with the e-filing of GST returns under the OVR regime
Transfer Pricing (TP) Services
Transfer pricing (TP) is a vital topic as countries continue their search for international consensus on what is considered the “fair share” of tax. TP issues present enormous uncertainty to businesses, as different jurisdictions likely hold a different perspective based on their own economic and market circumstances. Properly ring-fencing this risk is therefore a high priority agenda item for management of companies that engage in related party transactions.
How we can help
Our team of TP experts is well placed to support you across a wide spectrum of TP matters:
Design and implementation
- Tailor made TP policy design.
- Review of processes and procedures from a tax internal control perspective.
- Assistance in operational roll out of new TP policies.
- Assistance in ERP (enterprise resource planning) or other in-house technology projects.
- Advice on inter-company contracts and agreements.
- TP audit readiness check (mock audit).
- Defence strategy compilation.
- Tax provision / accounting reserve assessment.
- Assistance in correspondences corresponding with tax authorities.
- Co-attendance of field audit meetings.
- Objections and appeals to TP adjustments.
- Application of MAP (mutual agreement procedure).
- Application of unilateral and bi-multi-lateral APAs (advance pricing arrangements).
- Industry/market specific economic analysis (benchmarking) to substantiate your TP positions.
- Review and prepare related party disclosure forms in tax returns.
- Preparation of compliance documentation (for transactions exceeding mandatory thresholds).
- Country by country reporting notifications and filing.
Who Needs Tax Services?
- Corporations, charities, sole proprietorships, partnerships, expatriate employees, high-net-worth individuals, trusts and estates. All legal entities can benefit from tax services in terms of assurance of compliance with the relevant laws and, where possible, reduction in overall tax costs.
Goods and Services Tax ("GST") Brochure
Advanced Tax Ruling ("ATR") Brochure
Initial Public Offering ("IPO") Tax Services Brochure
Tax Governance & Tax Risk Management Brochure
Tax Incentives for Businesses Brochure
Voluntary Disclosure Programme Brochure
|Sim Siew Moon
Senior Partner &
Head of Tax
|Lee Vin Wee